Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Homemade Chinese Steamed Dumplings

My local Wegman's grocery store has recently gone on a bit of an Asian kick. Lots of fresh cut veggie combos and simmer sauces. They also had some fresh potsticker wraps which piqued my curiosity. Of course, my favorite food blog, Closet Cooking, had a great recipe which I based my dinner on.

Ingredients:

1 package of ready made potsticker wrappers
1 lb. ground pork
1 can mini salad shrimp
2 large napa cabbage leaves
2 green onions
2 tablespoons bamboo shoots
2 tablespoons fresh chopped ginger
2 cloves grated garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch


Gather your ingredients. I noticed that the ginger I had bought for my recipe was missing. Guess dear hubby used it all on the meal he made while I was out on a much deserved girls night. Can't really get upset about that, he held down the fort and put the baby to bed! I just substituted some ground ginger instead.


Dice up the shrimp, bamboo, cabbage, garlic and green onions.



Place the diced ingredients in a large bowl with all the other ingredients.

 

Mix well.


Lay out your potsticker wrappers and put a spoonful of the meat mixture in the center.


Pinch up the sides.


Put a pot with a steamer on the stove top with a little water on the bottom. Place a cabbage leaf in the steamer and lay a few dumplings on it. The cabbage leaf will keep the dumplings from sticking to the steamer and will cook them evenly. Cover the pot and steam for 6 minutes.

You'll have to do a few batches to get all your dumplings cooked but make sure you keep adding water to your pot so it doesn't scortch.


Steamed to perfection!


Delicious!


I also whipped up a little dipping sauce with 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar, a splash of olive oil, a teaspoon of chili powder and a clove of grated garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment