Monday, February 11, 2013

Lemon Curd

I was in the grocery store today looking for some jelly when a bottle of lemon curd caught my eye. Unfortunately, when I looked at the ingredient list, it had high fructose corn syrup in it among other things. So, what do I do? I go on my trusty iPhone and look up a recipe. All I needed to get was some lemons!

Here's the recipe, from Ina Garten:

Ingredients:

3 lemons
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt



Lemons! 

 

Use a vegetable peeler to zest the lemons (try not to get a lot of the white part).


 

Three lemons zested!


 

Mix with the sugar.

 

Blend in the food processor.

 

Wow! The smell of the lemon sugar is intoxicating!


Now, cream the butter in a stand mixer.


Add the lemon sugar.


Add the eggs, the juice from the three zested lemons and the salt.


Pour into a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.


Look at that! A whole jar of lemon curd.

Spread on toast, pancakes, sweet breads, muffins, scones or just on a spoon (I won't tell).

Try it out and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment